side bars

Friday, March 4, 2011

Staying Creative

Here are a few cards and a layout that I've been working on recently.

The story behind the layout it that I don't know a THING about Harry Potter - not a dang thing, and when I started working with this lovely collection of Harry Potter papers and embellishments, I had no clue what to do with it.  Don't get me wrong, the paper is lovely - all antique like and my colours too.  The only thing I know that is associated with Harry Potter is the word "Muggles".  You see my husband and I Geocache - that is, we use a GPS to plug in latitude and longitude co-ordinates and play a game of "hide and seek" looking for a 'cache' that is filled with trade able trinkets and a log book.  It is a great outdoor adventure that takes you to places that you likely wouldn't have traveled to if not for hunting for 'tuperware in the woods'.  That being said; a Muggle is a person who is not a Geocacher who happens to stumble upon either the cache or you scouring the woods.  There you go ... there's the link!

Watch Out for Muggles

So, I used three different papers from the collection for this, and printed my story out on ivory cardstock with the font Kristen using my computer. Then distressed the paper and inked with Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Vintage Photo, and used two Glimmer mists; Coffee Shop and Wheatfields. I stitched the one paper with my sewing machine, and distressed the edges with Tim Holtz Distressing ink in Vintage Photo. I The title is Basic Grey Chip letters. The button is a vintage military button from my husband's sewing box. The ribbon trim I'm not sure about the brand.


The journaling reads:
"As soon as we introduced Geocaching to you, you were hooked.  The idea of hide and seek and treasure hunting all together  was terrific. Being outside in the woods looking for Tupperware was such a concept.  Watch out for Muggles - those are people who are not familiar with Geocaching - you don't want them to be aware of what you are doing; so they won't accidentally find the Cache"
.


The Cards
 
Using the Sew Easy tool from We R Memory Keepers I put together the following 3 cards.
 
For the first card I used an Asian themed background paper (unknown) and Chinese Lanterns stamp (Inkadoo) and kept it simple without a a sentiment. I used Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Vintage Photo, and Glimmer Mist in Wheatfields. Finished off with two butterfly stamps (Martha Stewart)


The second card I used a snowflake patterned paper (unknown) and two different Bo Bunny double dot cardstocks and some white Bazzil. I used the "Burst" wheel on this card and instead of rolling it in a row, I used the burst in the form of snowflakes. I cut a snowflake with the Cricut (Potpourri cartridge) out of vellum and some hemp string. I use the I-rock gem setting tool for the bling on the snowflake.




For the final card - Happy Birthday - I used October Afternoon's Thrift Shop collection patterned papers and red Bazzil cardstock. I used the Cricut to cut the Happy Birthday (Potpourri) and a piece of salvaged ribbon from a box of chocolates.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails